Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How to lose a customer for life

I know I have complained about this before, but as a friend told me when I told him about this, it needs to be documented- for its comedic value if nothing else.

I had sent in my HP notebook twice in already for overheating issues. They told me the fan was replaced, and I shouldn't have any more problems with it. Turns out they were wrong! The notebook got so hot I couldn't touch it and it would just shut down by itself. There were some other issues with it too, but that was the most annoying considering I had it sent in for that twice already.

So I call up HP and talk to a really nice lady. I explained how frustrated I was with the computer and she said since I had the accidental and damage protection 3 year extended warranty, she would arrange to have a brand new notebook sent to me. I was happy- for about 1 week. The address that HP put on the package that was sent to me was incorrect, and FedEx wouldn't let HP or me change it. The nice lady at HP called then and said since they couldn't send it to me, to send it back to them and they would resend it to the correct address.

Just to make sure that it was going back to HP, I called FedEx to check the status of it. FedEx told me it was going back to the sender - phew ... atleast it's on track... right? NO! The notebook came from the HP factory in China, so, FedEx was sending it back to China! I tried calling HP to talk to the lady that was handling my case, and she works normal US work hours, so she wasn't there, and her voicemail box was full. I was left helpless till the next morning.

I called HP and got a hold of the lady, and she said she would call FedEx and clarify the ship address. She did, and it got sent to the HP office in Tennessee. For the next 4 days, they couldn't find the returned notebook. How does a company this big and reputable manage to mess things up this much???

Finally, they find it, and send it out - BUT they get the address wrong again - this time instead of suite # 942 , they had suite #94. The notebook finally made it after I called FedEx and asked them what the address they were trying to deliver it to was - the tracking said that no one was there to sign for it. It finally made it, and so far, it seems to be a decent machine. But rest assured, I will NEVER, by choice, buy another HP product. I have to say though that the lady I was dealing with was cool and she did the best she could given the circumstances. In any case, that's how you lose a customer for life!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home